Commerce isn't it mundane?  

Posted by DJLIM




This is a post which I had plan for a long time but never had the guts to do so. This was about a choice I made last year on why I decided to do a total turnaround on my degree choices and finally decide to pursue a degree in commerce. Its a decision I would come to question every time ever since I made that fateful decision and more importantly the question of doing commerce or more specifically accounting in university. I use to ask myself this question "Isn't it mundane". Well the answer i got for you is heck NO!!

Ever since I was little I always envisioned myself doing something on the science part of life. You know the traditional Asian prestige concept on being a doctor, dentist, scientist,etc. After all i had basically done science subjects my entire life,from toiling through PMR, to freaking out for SPM to finally ending at a climax when I did my VCE.

And it turns out I never did enjoy it. No its not the interesting fact and figures that do not interest me(Heck I read the entire encyclopedia collection about medicine from Reader Digest many times and loved it) but it is mostly the stuff people do before making the scientific gibberish accessible to common folks is what bores me. Also like all teenagers with a rebellious streak I once had this irrational mind to never follow in my father footsteps to become an accountant.

Fast forward to now I am on my first steps to become what my father was and forever shall be and I might add a very good one as well; an accountant.

It is now I begin to see the really "cool' side about commerce a degree or an accounting degree. Many people may not know it but the ancient (yes I said ancient) knowledge of accountancy date back when numbers were first discovered in ancient Mesopotamia. It was first use in the very simple calculations to record and ensure the numbers of sheep was done correctly. Then came along Luca Parcoli that finally made accountancy highly relevant.

Many people may say that crunching numbers everyday is hogwash and unimportant compared to the other more 'noble' professions such as medicine but have they really look at the real world and see how it functions.

Well if you did you will see accountants everywhere from large corporations to even hospitals, all of these organizations will need or at least require the services of an accountant. The role and function of good old number crunching is not only use as a mere book keeping but it is of vital importance in the planning,assessment and forecasting of product,services and performance of lots of organizations. From charities to hospitals to large corporations all of them require people with 'mad number crunching skills'. As long as commerce and trade is still a vital part of humanity culture accountants are going to be around for a long time.

Oh yeah, if you guys think that such people are the stereotypical men and women who lead boring and mundane lives well you are in for a big surprise. Heck many of them really do lead vibrant,exciting and colorful lives later in their career.

Now I do not feel so bad when people complain that having a degree in commerce is mundane,for in fact they have no idea what they are missing out on!

* The author is stoke that he is about to begin his degree at Deakin University for the Bachelor of Arts (International Studies)/Bachelor of Commerce. Hey I never did said I wanted to be fully like my dad hahaha! That's what the art degree is for!

Does this look like a mundane accountant to you?

This entry was posted on 6:32 AM and is filed under , , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

2 comments

hey just follow ur heart and do wat u want...:)

Hey thanks for the advice!! =)